Charity and additional Government Funding for education

You will see from the information on this site under education if you have a disability that creates considerable needs and you are aged under 25,and in further education you are likely to qualify for an Educational Health Care Plan which will pay for your support needs and your course. If you are doing a higher education course at a university or college level 4 or above you are likely to qualify for Disabled Student Allowance. There are however some charities that will help with any costs that are not covered or for those who do not have this funding.

One option is the Snowdon Trust who will fund further education, vocational education or higher education costs related to a person's disability (physical or sensory disability). They have a long history since 1981 and grants (that do not have to be paid back) can fund help like sign language interpreters, other vital human support, specialist equipment or additional accommodation costs like for a carer. 

They also have a masters degree scholarship progamme.   

Trefoil provide personal development grants to help independence and or general development, they are awarded to individuals with physical needs or psycho/social needs who are under 25 years old and also can provide funding to organisations for these reasons.

Gardener's Trust for the Blind offer a one off grant for items like assisted technology and course fees or household equipment for those living in England or Wales who are registered blind  for further information call 0207 2533757 

The Matthew Trust a small registered charity offering small grants to those who have tried all other means to get funding and have mental health problems the fund of anywhere from £50-250 can pay for any stated need like education and applications are typically made by a key worker/health professional

Kidney Care UKprovide financial support in the form of personal grants that can pay for many items like equipment, travel costs but also higher/further/training qualifications or technology to help this available to both dialysis and transplant patients 

MS Health and Wellbeing Grant will fund items to improve wellbeing for those with MS like computing equipment, holidays, home adaptions, scooters and more   

Croh's and Colitis UK education and vocational funding for those with the condition person's grants 

Joseph Levy Education fund for those with Cystic Fibrosis to pay for further education, vocational training or high education

Douglas Bader Grants for education, the arts, recreation or sport or helping with business for those with physical disabilities. Can be used for example to pay for training or equipment foundation was set up for those with one limb but the application states any physical disability.

 Student Health Association helps those on higher education courses with disabilities fund extra costs once Disabled Students Allowance has been tried funds are for up to £500

Laurence Atwell grant gives funds young people those families are on a very low income or benefits and they have few or no qualifications and want to train for a profession/trade. Those with mental health or disability have been known to be a priority. They fund level, 1-level 3.

Helena Kennedy Foundation help disadvantage students through further or higher education, focused on financial hardship other criteria are issues like serve health issues, emotional issues, mental health issues, physical disability. Colleges can make an application for up to 5 students per year  p to £2250 per student.

Thomas Wall Trust Funding for courses/training to overcome barriers and financial hardship. Must be under 25 years old and up to £1000 is available

Additional Government funding 

16-19 Bursary fund for those aged 16-19 and claim ESA and PIP OR are care leavers or are on universal credit or income support. It s a fund of up to £1,200