Disability Specific Benefits

Disability specific benefits include:

The main disability benefit for adults due to disability is Personal Independence Payments. This has recently replaced Disability Living Allowance and has some differences. People have to complete a very long form about ‘how their disability affects them’. This means two people with the same condition may get very different amounts if on a daily basis the impact on each person’s life is very different. There are two main areas being assessed Daily Living and Mobility. Daily living is made up of the following areas:
  • Preparing food
  • Taking nutrition
  • Managing therapy or monitoring a health condition
  • Washing and bathing
  • Managing toilet needs or incontinence
  • Dressing and undressing
  • Communicating verbally
  • Reading and understanding signs, symbols and words
  • Engaging with other people face to face
  • Making budgeting decisions
  • People must explain how their disability affects each area on a normal day, most of the time.
  • They must score at least 8 points for standard daily living PIP or at least 12 for enhanced (those with enhanced get more money).

The mobility part looks at ability to plan and follow a journey and also walking ability/ distance. Again to be awarded for mobility you need at least 8 points from the mobility questions or 12 points for more money (enhanced. The amount you get depends on your form, your evidence, your daily life and your face to face assessment you normally must attend. The face to face assessment will be carried out by a health care professional such as an Physiotherapist, OT or nurse.  It is challenging because you need to talk at length and in detail honestly about the difficulties day to day your disability causes. 

 When you are 16 plus you can no longer claim DLA and must apply for PIP which involves a face to face assessment Scope explain what to expect in the assessment.

If you are unsuccessful or feel you should have got more points you can ask them to reconsider and can resubmit new evidence if you have more this is called Mandatory Reconsideration and they look at the paperwork but often outcomes remain unchanged. Often people have more success at a tribunal where a judge, a medical expert like a GP and a disability specialist who understands disability look at the decision and evidence a fresh. It is best if you can to attend these in person so you can answer their questions and explain.

Scope You Tube video Preparing for a PIP assessment


Benefits and funding websites

Personal Independence Payments(Disability benefit non means tested-it does not matter what you or your family earn). It is based on how your disability affects you day to day and not your condition. You normally need to go to a medical but first you complete a form about your abilities with daily living tasks and your mobility see https://www.gov.uk/pip

Government easy read advice on claiming PIP Disability benefit see https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/about-pip-what-it-is-and-how-to-claim-it-easy-read-guide

Government financial help if you are disabled https://www.gov.uk/financial-help-disabled/home-and-housing

Disability Facilities grant pays for home adaptions needed due to disability see https://www.gov.uk/disabled-facilities-grants

Benefits guide is a UK benefits side covering all benefit types including disability benefits like Personal Independence Payments, Attendance Benefit and Employment Support Allowance as well as non-disability benefits. The site is clear and easy to navigate  www.benifitsguide.co.uk

The Disability Contact Centre is a government service helpline for those that have already applied for disability benefit: Personal Independence Payments (Adults), Attendance Allowance (to pay for care support due to serve disability and you are over state pension age)  or Disability Living allowance (Children)  https://www.gov.uk/disability-benefits-helpline

Carer Allowance Support for disability carers if they care for someone who claims PIP and get higher rate care needing care support or Mid or high care element of Disability Living Allowance (Children) or Attendance Allowance among other benefits https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance

Employment and Support Allowance Benefit for those with a disability that are unable to work that will either be put in a work group to get work ready or the support group meaning you get slightly more and are not expected to be able to work. The Citizen Advice gives detailed information on the benefit  https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/employment-and-support-allowance/

Direct payments if you are assessed for example due to disability to have social care needs following an assessment from a social worker and you need to pay for Bucks County Council Services you can apply and learn more about Direct Payments here https://www.bucksfamilyinfo.org/kb5/buckinghamshire/fsd/advice.page?id=8vYDfnDeAXY

Employment and Support Allowance is typically a benefit for those to unwell to work or with very complex disability needs making work difficult. There are two amounts one for people never expected to work despite being working age and a lesser amount for those who would need lots of  very personalised support to get work ready and join a work focused group support https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance

Blind Person’s Allowance is an extra amount a person who is blind can earn before paying income tax in the UK https://www.gov.uk/blind-persons-allowance

ESA Guidance Easy read https://www.base-uk.org/knowledge/esa-guidance-easy-read

Disability Grants is a UK website you can search for individual disability relevant charity funding https://www.disability-grants.org/